Friday, June 10, 2011

Hors d'oeuvres, Dim sum, Tapas or Appetizers

Whatever you choose to call them, everyone loves a little bite...sweet or savory...for munching. The French and Italians call it like it is.
Hors d'oeuvre - apart from the main work.
Antipasto - before the meal.
Perhaps the purpose of these pre-meal morsels is to sustain guests between their arrival and being seated at the dining table. However, they are occasionally served in place of a meal, and can be served at a table or passed 'butler style'. (I don't know about you, but I think butler style hors d'oeuvres sound fancy!)
Suggested amounts per person vary between 6 and 12 (and some even up to 20, if replacing dinner) bites each hour. It's fun to offer guests a variety of tastes and textures in your appetizer selections.
Here is a menu for an appetizer reception I prepared last weekend, served in place of lunch.


  • Bacon Chicken Brochettes

  • Corn and Black Bean Salsa Cups

  • Cornmeal Blinis with Mascarpone and Strawberries

  • Crudite Shooters

  • Garlic Hummus on Cucumber

  • Pesto Turkey Sandwiches

  • Romeo and Juliets (Guava Pate and Manchego Cheese)

  • English Toffee

  • Orange Glazed Pecans

  • Swedish Raspberry Shortbread

I know you'd love to see some pictures of the service table for this event. The truth is, so would I. I had my camera, but I didn't have a spare minute to snap photos. Maybe sometime I'll have a staff photographer. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment